If you need to move the Altaro Offsite server installation over to a new machine, you'll likely want to retain the history and continue taking incremental offsite backups. This article will guide you on how to do that and avoid having to re-seed your offsite backups.
Below you can find the steps to follow:
- Install the Altaro Offsite Server on the new machine. You can find the download link for it here: http://www.altaro.com/vm-backup/download-tools.php
Stop the Altaro services on the newly installed Altaro Offsite Server Machine.
From the OLD Altaro Offsite Server (AOS) machine, copy the following folders:
- Paste and replace the above folders on the new AOS machine
- After copying the folders, start the Altaro services
- Open the Altaro Offsite Server on the new machine and you should find all of your previous accounts listed
- Obviously, if the IP/Hostname is going to be changing, ensure that it's updated
IMPORTANT - You will need to re-enter the passwords for the accounts AND any network paths you might have as offsite backup locations. The reason is due to the fact that passwords are machine encrypted so they are not copied over
- If the offsite backup location is also going to be changing, you can simply copy the "AltaroV7S" folder (on the old backup location) to the new location. The best way to move the backup folder is through Robocopy as you might encounter issues with long file path name through a normal Windows copy.
The syntax for Robocopy can be found below, which can be run through a normal command line window:
Once that's done, update the location from Altaro and the next offsite backup will continue using the same backup set and will only be transferring incremental changes