Note: Ensure that you are running version 8.16 or newer. Only available on V8 installs, V9 version coming soon.
This command-line interface tool allows you to easily export VHDX/VMDK files from your local backup set without the need to restore the entire Virtual Machine.
You can follow the steps below in order to run this tool:
- Ensure that you are running this where the main installation of VM Backup is running.
- Open an instance of Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) and change the directory to C:\Program Files\Altaro\Altaro Backup\
- Run DiskExtractor.exe
As soon as you run it, you will be prompted to provide a backup location.
The backup location must be a locally connected disk, iSCSI or a Network Path. Offsite Backup Servers or Cloud Backup Locations (Azure, Amazon S3 or Wasabi) are not supported.
Point to the folder above the AltaroV7 or AltaroV7S folder.
If you enter a Network Path, you will be prompted to enter the credentials.
- The VMs within that backup location will now be listed. Input your choice and proceed:
- The list of restorable versions will be listed for the selected VM. Input your preferred choice and proceed:
- The list of available VHDX/VMDK files will be listed for that specific backup version. Here you can restore more than one virtual disk by making use of a delimiter (;). So if you would like to restore disk 1 and 3 simply input 1;3.
- Finally, enter the restore location you would like to use. The location needs to be a locally connected disk or iSCSI:
- You will get progress listed and upon successful/failed restore you will be notified:
If needed, logs are located here: C:\ProgramData\Altaro\AltaroBackupProfile\Logs\DiskRestore